Friday, September 30, 2005

Baby sure can move!

I'm sure this will be nothing new to anyone who has already had a baby... but baby sure can move! On Monday and Tuesday I was in San Diego for Verity's Developers Conference. Verity put all employees attending up at the Omni Hotel. Don joined me. The thrill for me was that we had a TV! Anyway, some evenings as I lie down more than sit up, the baby seems to adjust itself and moves a lot. On Monday evening this was the case. Don first put his hand on my stomach and felt a few good kicks, but he hasn't had a chance to really see the baby move. So I uncovered my tummy and boy did we see some action. I don't know what the baby is doing, but I've never seen my tummy move like that. I think the baby is doing some break-dancing moves like the full body wave or something. For those who have never had a baby, the only comparison that I can make is if you've ever see an alien invasion movie where the alien somehow gets inside a human donor and, as they get ready to break out, the human donor's stomach starts convulsing... I guess that doesn't paint a very pretty picture of being pregnant, does it?

Tuesday evening we went to the obstetrician and the nurse midwife checked the baby's heartbeat and while checking she was able to feel the baby move. The heartbeat was in the 140s, which may mean it's a girl. I think they know the sex of the baby. We don't want to know, but we were asked twice at the last visit if we wanted to know. For me it's more exciting not to know. It's like getting presents at Christmas. You kind of want to know what you're getting, but you don't because most of the surprise and excitement is in not knowing.

No comments: