Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The baby dropped

And I can once again breathe. It happened on Friday, the day after American Thanksgiving. I was brushing my teeth around noon, leaning over the sink and I felt this ... internal slide. It was very bizarre... I haven't felt anything like that before. I thought it was the baby dropping - felt like something internal slid into place - not to be redundant. I immediately stood up and took a deep breath. And I could breathe like I wasn't pregnant. And the pressure right below my rib cage was/is gone. And the baby's movements all felt/feel lower down. So I think the baby dropped. It's also called "lightening" and I can totally understand why. I feel lighter. We went to the doula's house that day as well and she thought it sounded like the baby dropped. She said it was a good sign because that means the baby is head down, just as it should be and that won't change. The baby is engaged and the pre-labor process is beginning. She also said I'm right on schedule as the baby dropping can happen anywhere from 6 weeks to during labour... Also good to know because after it happened I told Don and I felt a little confused because I thought it might mean that labor was going to start fairly soon. But it doesn't. Which is good because we need to tidy up the house first.

Tomorrow we go to the obstetrician and I'll let them know the baby dropped. Hopefully I won't have gained 5 pounds these last two weeks. I've tried to cut back on chocolate. It's hard. I also get the Group B Strep test done tomorrow. Hopefully the results will be negative.

No comments: